This would be a tasty form of cracker that would be totally new to the baking space: crackers made with sourdough discard. I use it all the time because I have a sourdough starter used to make bread, and this is my favorite way to get rid of discard. The only other ingredients are herbs, butter, and flour, so this is a really efficient way to get rid of product. All my friends find it extremely tasty.
I am now thinking of selling these crackers and have heard from friends that they would buy these. Here are the pros and cons of starting this business as I see it:
- First to market
- Consumer appeal
- Efficient and sustainable
- Cheap ingredients
- Lots of work and labor involved
- Hard hours as a baker
- Seems like a lot of work from a marketing/sales perspective
- It would be hard to maintain a consistent recipe if I’m making in larger batches
I am looking for advice on:
- Financial viability, especially from home baking to more commercial baking
- What would be a reasonable timeline to scale baking?
- Advice with renting commercial kitchen space